InfinityAffinity archives

Immediate Attention Please: Concordance for Burma

The people of Burma need our immediate help. Below are more details, but if
all you have time for is joining in our Global Concordance over the next 5
days, here is a Buddhist Prayer. Please keep it in heart and mind for at
least the next 5 days. Please send this notice to all you know who care:

A Buddhist Prayer

Evoking the presence of the great compassion, let us fill our hearts with
our own compassion - towards ourselves and towards all living beings.

Let us pray that all living beings realize that they are all brothers and
sisters, all nourished from the same source of life.

Thank you James Ayotte for locating this Concordance, and thank you Robert
March (http://www.bhagavandharma.org/world_peace_day.htm) for bringing this
immediate need to my awareness.

All my best,
Joseph Giove
jgiove@InfinityAffinity.org
www.InfinityAffinity.org
www.CommonPassion.org

From: http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/t.php

After decades of military dictatorship, the people of Burma are rising - and
they need our help. Marches begun recently by monks and nuns snowballed,
bringing hundreds of thousands to the streets. Now the crackdown has begun,
but the protests are spreading...

When the Burmese last marched in 1988, the military massacred thousands. If
the world stands up and supports their struggle, this time they could win.
We're in a race against time-- targeting the dictatorship's main backer
China in a global advertising campaign, delivering the petition to the UN
secretary-general and sending the Burmese our support...

Burma: A Global Roar

Burma's generals have brought their brutal iron hand down on peaceful monks
and protesters -- but in response, a massive global outcry is gathering
pace. The roar of global public opinion is being heard in hundreds of
protests outside Chinese and Burmese embassies, people round the world
wearing the monks' color red, and on the internet-- where our petition has
exploded to over 200,000 signers in just 72 hours.

People power can win this. Burma's powerful sponsor China can halt the
crackdown, if it believes that its international reputation and the 2008
Olympics in Beijing depend on it. To convince the Chinese government and
other key countries, Avaaz is launching a major global and Asian ad campaign
on Wednesday, including full page ads in the Financial Times and other
newspapers, that will deliver our message and the number of signers. We need
1 million voices to be the global roar that will get China's attention. If
every one of us forwards this email to just 20 friends, we'll reach our
target in the next 72 hours. Please sign the petition at the link below -if
you haven't already- and forward this email to everyone you care about:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/t.php

The pressure is working - already, there are signs of splits in the Burmese
Army, as some soldiers refuse to attack their own people. The brutal top
General, Than Shwe, has reportedly moved his family out of the country - he
must fear his rule may crumble.

The Burmese people are showing incredible courage in the face of horror.
We're broadcasting updates on our effort over the radio into Burma itself -
telling the people that growing numbers of us stand with them. Let's do
everything we can to help them - we have hours, not days, to do it. Please
sign the petition and forward this email to at least 20 friends right now.
Scroll down our petition page for details of times and events to join in the
massive wave of demonstrations happening around the world at Burmese and
Chinese embassies.

With hope and determination,

Ricken, Paul, Pascal, Graziela, Galit, Ben, Milena and the whole Avaaz Team
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/t.php

Launched into cyberspace by jgiove@infinityaffinity.org